Aero Tech Waterproof Breathable Rainwear - Technical Cycling Jacket with zip off Hood
Waterproof/Breathable Rainwear is the gear of choice for active cyclists. There are several different brands of Waterproof/Breathable films like Gore-Tex® or eVent® and many others. When this type of fabric first came out there was only one brand with name recognition and that was Gore-Tex® However, now there are many choices that might fall into the "generic" category with all the same high performance properties but without the branded markings.
Highly effective rain gear like this one has two rain barriers build into the material design. The process to create the waterproof fabric in this rainwear starts with a tightly woven polyester fabric that has been treated on the surface with a DWR or Durable Water Resistant finish. This finish helps water to bead up on the surface of the fabric. It is a coating. That treated polyester fabric is then laminated to a waterproof breathable membrane. The laminated membrane is composed of an expanded polytetrafluoroethylene, polyurethane (PU) or polyester membrane. It looks like a plastic film with microscopic ventilation that allows water vapor from perspiration to push through to the outer fabric (wicking) for evaporation.
Waterproof breathable laminates like Gore-Tex® PacLite®; eVent®; MemBrain® Dry.Q® are highly technical in their composition because they allow water perspiration vapor from the body to escape into the outer layers for evaporation. While they are all breathable, they are essentially the same in their component parts. There is no comparative test or mechanical measurement for testing performance for this type of material. Aero Tech does abrasion testing (martindale) on the fabric surface, and tests the coating of DWR but there is no standard for comparison between waterproof breathable laminates. They all have about the same properties and deliver similar results.
Features of this Rainwear:
Zipper off Hood: This jacket has a removable hood that fits nice and snug for insulation and so that it can be worn under a cycling helmet. It has a wide, stiff brim that keeps some air space above the eyes to keep some of the rain off your face.
Seam Sealing: All of the seams on this waterproof breathable jacket are taped to seal out tiny puncture holes from the stitching. The highest quality narrow seam tape on this jacket keeps the seams soft and pliable with no discernible difference in the fabric between seams and body.
Technical Additions: The extra convenience you get from these added features are so worth the bit of extra cost because they add to the ease of comfort.
* Velcro wrist closures. This adjusts the sleeve length to your unique fit. It also enables you to pull down the jacket over your fingers when it is very cold and wet outside.
* Five zippered pockets to stow your stuff. The back pocket is big and roomy for all the stuff you will need to carry on your activity.
* Media Port - the chest pocket has a port for your wires.
* Storm Rain Flap - The back of this rainwear has a flap that snaps up or down to cover the rear during a storm.
* Adjustable Fit - The hem of the jacket has two shock cords to adjust the tightness around the hip area to seal out rain and cold air.
* Lining - Those aiming to save space and weight should choose a 3- or 2.5-layer design (described above).
* Zipper Garage - This jackets has a covering flap at the top of the front zipper so nothing touches your chin.
* Zipper Lining - It stops wind from slipping through the teeth of the zipper.
* Storm flap - The back of this rainwear has a flap that snaps up or down to cover the rear during a storm.
* Reflective Trims - Front and back and on all sides of the body for a 360 view of reflective in low light conditions.